Safe Guardian Responsibilities

Just for the record, here’s the conclusion on the Discord channel: [SEP #X] Improve Communication in SafeDAO - #24 by theobtl

I totally get that it could be perceived like that. I’d just put the idealism in the context of pragmatism. The Guardian TG channel was set up quite a while ago, around the time or even before the launch of SafeDAO itself. It helped coordinate the very creation of SafeDAO. From a normative perspective, it should not be there, like any other communications channel that is not within this governance forum. Practically, having it was just extremely useful if not necessary for SafeDAO to get off the ground, given the important role that Guardians als SafeDAO’s initial group of governance delegates play.

We’ll need to continuously question SafeDAO’s setup and whether it is still appropriate as it is. There will be a time where SafeDAO is autonomous enough and operationally enabled to function on its own, without any such side channels. That is just not yet the case, I believe, but it must be our priority to get there.

There’s also the fine line between discussing SEPs or discussing anything else but SEPs, so informal governance discussions. As pointed out above, the Guardians TG channel from the beginning has always been created to host those informal conversations among Guardians, but not to have a separate place to discuss SEPs. That has always remained with the governance forum and the same applies to the newly created Discord channel.

Which isn’t untrue when SafeDAO is still in the process of progressively decentralising. The DAO has yet to be filled with a purpose, a governance framework, a tokenomics/resource allocation framework and so much more. I’d encourage everyone to help shaping it and bring forward proposals that contribute towards SafeDAO becoming an increasingly decentralised organisation. Curious to hear your ideas and happy to help you bring forward such proposals!