[SEP #5] Redistributing Unredeemed Tokens From User Airdrop Allocation

It seems this proposal has come quite far.

There is a point to keeping this proposal simple and not delay the process further. It’s just: I agree with others that we should make sure that an oversimplification of this proposal does not cause unnecessary delays elsewhere.

I’d also say that the latest revision is not unanimously supported, as it’s leaving out other options. That includes extending the claim period (be that instead or in parallel to this proposal), but also others like rewarding users on Gnosis Chain and other L2s.

As it stands, the final Snapshot vote would be as follows:

• Option A: Use all unredeemed tokens and distribute them proportionately to all those who previously redeemed their allocated tokens
  • Option B: Use 1/2 of all unredeemed tokens for the aforementioned cause
  • Option C: Use 2/3 of all unredeemed tokens for the aforementioned cause
  • Abstain
  • Make no changes

The motivation for that seems to be:

I don’t think these initiatives necessarily depend on another and cannot be rolled out in parallel, if we come up with specific implementations and align them. This proposal just had to define its implementation (e.g., the amount of the 32M tokens used) and include options on which alternatives we should explore in parallel. That should be feasible, shouldn’t it?

That way, this proposal can still focus on redistributing to those who redeemed while it’s also a signal for us all what else to do (or not to do) in a more time-efficient manner:

Let’s say, someone wants to redistribute unredeemed tokens to those who claimed, but also wants to extend the claim period in parallel.

• they might vote “make no changes” (=No) because they think the claim period should be extended first
  • they might vote “abstain” because they’re for the proposal, but also for having clarity on the claim period and choose to vote neither for nor against it
  • they might vote “B” or “C” to start redistributing unredeemed tokens to those who claimed, and work on extending the claim period separately

Unfortunately, we’ll only see the quantitative results of the final Snapshot vote, not the Why behind each vote. (Yes, you can add a comment in Snapshot, but very few do so and that had to be analysed manually.) Based on the result of the vote alone, it would be impossible at scale to tell which preference exactly is behind each voter in relation to other options. If you’re supporting this proposal, the best case scenario may be any of A-C, giving you clarity on redistributing to those who claimed. But you’d start fresh with exploring other options. The worst case scenario for proponents of this proposal would be “Make no changes” because we wouldn’t know whether people are decisively against redistributing unredeemed tokens to those who claimed, or generally for it but want clarity on other options, too.

So I’d join @Melodic_Platypus and @CaptainTee and ask:

Wouldn’t it be a low-hanging fruit to make the vote more meaningful and informative by including at least one more option to accounts for alternative measures?

4 Likes